Christian cross shape brown bone earrings with black Maasai beads.
• Pair of unique, recycled Fair Trade earrings, featuring delicately-carved brown bone crosses.
• You’ll love the fact that waste cow bone is given a second life by transforming into this pair of earrings.
• A sanding machine is used to carefully shape the bone.
• The beads are then dyed brown by hand.
• Tiny black Maasai beads enhance the detail of the item.
• The colours used in the beadwork are selected for their beauty and are also symbolic and have important meanings understood by the tribe. Black represents the people and the struggles they must endure.
• The hooks are made from nickel-free base metal are therefore hypoallergenic.
• Part of a range of themed products. (Click on the “Religious and Spiritual” Tag above to reveal the selection.)
And check out the “You may also like” product suggestions below.
• Here in the UK, cow bone is hardly what we would consider a crafting material, but in Kenya, cow bone is both an inexpensive raw material and traditional crafting medium.
Hand-crafted by skilled artisans at Excel Concepts in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya. They love working with recycled cow bone.
Bringing you a distinctive product inspired by locally-sourced materials and displaying the vibrancy of African culture.
“Asante sana” (Thank you).
DIMENSIONS – the earrings have a total drop from the base of the hooks of 4.5 cm approximately.
They are 3 cm at their widest point & 2 mm thick.
“Kazuri”, which means small and beautiful in Swahili, certainly applies to these earrings!
Please note: the bone used is always and only from the “Bovine species” i.e. a cow.
It is NOT from the female gender of large mammals (such as the whale, walrus or elephant).
Find out more about Excel Concepts and the work they do in Kibera Slum in Nairobi in my Blog post.
Also note: I take care to ensure that pictures and descriptions are as accurate and representative as possible. But please be aware that the products are handmade in the developing world (often using locally-sourced and/or recycled materials) and minor variations may occur. It’s what makes each item truly unique!
And finally, keep things tidy at home…
Have you discovered this tiered wooden earring stand / holder / organiser?
Perfect for storing up to 40 pairs of earrings.
“AND REMEMBER, NO POSTAGE COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER – DELIVERY IS FREE.”