Gourd black “triangle” hook earrings with spiral etchings and Maasai bead – handmade in Kenya.
• Striking black earrings which have been hand-carved and decorated from thick dried gourd, making them very light-weight and comfortable to wear.
• The etched ethnic pattern features on the front of the earrings only. The back is plain black.
• Hand-dyed and then etched with a tribal pattern to reveal the natural, earthy colour of the gourd itself.
• A black Maasai bead adorns the fittings to add detail and an African character.
• The hooks are made from nickel-free base metal and therefore hypoallergenic.
DIMENSIONS – width 3 cm x height 2.5 cm x thickness 3 mm approximately.
These gourd earrings have been handmade by skilled Fair Trade artisans in Nairobi, Kenya.
DID YOU KNOW?
A gourd is a plant or fruit from the Cucurbitacex family (which includes melons, squash, pumpkins, watermelon cucumbers).
One variety is known as the lagenaria or hardshell gourd which comes in a variety of sizes, shapes and colours.
The fruit starts out in different shades of green, but developing a hard, thick shell once dry and turning tan or brown.
It is often used for crafting, including jewellery-making.
Also note: I take care to ensure that pictures and descriptions are as accurate and representative as possible, but please be aware that the products are handmade in the developing world (often using locally-sourced and/or recycled materials) and minor variations may occur – making each item truly unique!
And if you want to find out more about this fascinating country, my Blog post —> 19 Fascinating Facts About Kenya is for you.
“GREAT NEWS! NO POSTAGE COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER – DELIVERY IS FREE.”
And finally… have you discovered this best-selling wooden earring stand yet, which keeps your earrings tidy at home?
Customer feedback for the past 13 years on this jewellery holder has been fantastic.