Recycled elephant poo (dung) holder and notepaper.
• Makes an environmentally-friendly and practical gift.
• Perfect addition to any desk, telephone table or study at home or the office.
• The elephant “poo” holder is made from 75% elephant dung and 25% recycled paper!
• Each note holder comes with approximately 50 individual sheets of handmade paddy husk paper inside – a beautiful-handmade paper that is very smooth and easy to write on with a pen or pencil.
• Designs are completed with a brass elephant motif, which is hand-finished and each one is slightly different, making them truly unique.
• All paper is acid-free.
• Part of a range of “elephant” themed products. (Click on the “Elephants” Tag above to reveal the selection. And check out the “You may also like” product suggestions below.)
Handmade by skilled local artisans at Maximus Elephant Conservation Trust in Sri Lanka.
Maximus has its workshop in the grounds of the Millennium Elephant Foundation (MEF), a wonderful small charity that cares for sick, elderly and disabled elephants.
DIMENSIONS – the holder is 10.5 cm square x 3.5 cm high approximately.
The note paper itself is 10 cm square.
PLEASE NOTE: the paper is great for writing on, however, using fountain pens with this type of handmade paper is NOT recommended.
DO YOU KNOW HOW ELEPHANT DUNG PAPER IS MADE?
For the holder – the process of making elephant poo (dung) paper is similar to making handmade paper.
The fibres are “pulped” by the elephant – instead of by hand or machine – whilst they are digesting, then the ready-made pulp comes out the back!
The elephant poo is collected and then vigorously boiled with margosa leaves, which are a natural disinfectant,
then made into paper after mixing with 25% recycled paper.
The coarseness and shade of the elephant dung paper is entirely dependent on the elephant’s diet making each sheet unique.
For the sheets themselves – paddy husk is a by-product of the rice milling process and has a high fibre and silica content and is a beautiful handmade paper.
It is very smooth and easy to write on.
“AND REMEMBER, NO POSTAGE COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER – DELIVERY IS FREE.”