Recycled elephant poo (dung) hardback notebook.
• These notebooks make an environmentally-friendly and practical gift.
• Perfect for use as a travel journal when going on holiday.
They also make great gifts for those elephant lovers out there, or simply as an everyday notebook.
• The elephant poo covers are made from 75% elephant dung and 25% recycled paper!
• Each notebook is filled with approximately 60 pages of unlined paddy husk paper – a beautiful handmade paper that is very smooth and easy to write on with a pen or pencil.
• Designs are completed with a hand-cut brass elephants motif, which is hand-finished and each one is slightly different, making them truly unique.
• All paper is acid-free.
• Part of a range of “elephant” themed products. (Click on the “Elephants” Tag above to reveal the selection. And check out the “You may also like” product suggestions below.)
Recycled elephant poo notebook handmade by skilled local artisans at Maximus Elephant Conservation Trust in Sri Lanka.
Maximus has its workshop in the grounds of the Millennium Elephant Foundation (MEF), a wonderful small charity that cares for sick, elderly and disabled elephants which is a home for elderly and disabled elephants.
DIMENSIONS – 20.5 cm high x 15.5 cm wide x 2 cm thick approximately.
PLEASE NOTE: the paper is great for writing or drawing on, however, using fountain pens with this type of handmade paper is NOT recommended.
The pens shown are not included.
DO YOU KNOW HOW ELEPHANT DUNG PAPER IS MADE?
For the cover – the process of making elephant poo (dung) paper is similar to making handmade paper.
The fibres are “pulped” by the elephant – instead of by hand or machine – whilst they are digesting, then the ready-made pulp comes out the back!
The elephant poo is collected and then vigorously boiled with margosa leaves, which are a natural disinfectant,
then made into paper after mixing with 25% recycled paper.
The coarseness and shade of the elephant dung paper is entirely dependent on the elephant’s diet making each sheet unique.
For the sheets themselves – paddy husk is a by-product of the rice milling process and has a high fibre and silica content and is a beautiful handmade paper.
It is very smooth and easy to write on.
“AND REMEMBER, NO POSTAGE COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER – BECAUSE DELIVERY IS FREE.”