Thuya wood pen and letter opener set displaying a rich, natural grain / burl. Hand-carved in Morocco.
• The set includes a pen with blue ink and a letter opener – perfect for the home or office.
• Part of a range of Thuya wood themed products. (Click on the “Thuya wood gifts” Tag above to reveal the selection.)
And check out the “You may also like” product suggestions below.
• Handmade by skilled Fair Trade artisans in Morocco to an exceptionally high finish.
• And remember, due to the natural grains, no two items are ever alike.
• Lemon juice and vegetable oil are polished into the wood, revealing Thuya’s natural burled grain. Each piece is rubbed by hand for hours and you can actually smell the aroma from this process when handling each piece. In fact, oil from the Thuya tree is extracted and is used in aromatherapy.
• Each piece is finished-off with a hand-rubbed shellac type varnish coating and buffed.
DIMENSIONS – the pen has a length of 14 cm.
The letter opener has a length of 21 cm x 2.3 cm wide x 5 mm thick approximately.
Did you know?
Thuya is a rare, shrubby conifer, indigenous to southern Morocco and especially the town of Essaouira, in the foothills of the Atlas mountains.
Income here is generated either by fishing, or the sale of Thuya.
Trees are typically 70 years old before they are cut.
The main characteristic of the wood is stunning burls, which come from the root of the tree – similar to that found as walnut burl.
The Thuya tree is one of few that can re-grow after being cut down to the trunk, thus maintaining sustainability and supported by a vigorous re-planting program.
To remove dust, dip a soft, clean cloth in warm soapy water, wring it out until slightly damp and then wipe the wood with the cloth.
Afterwards, get another soft, clean cloth and dry the wood.
If you would like to learn more, please read my Blog post entitled “What is Thuya wood? 9 facts to help explain”
Also note: we take care to ensure that pictures and descriptions are as accurate and representative as possible, but please be aware that our products are handmade in the developing world (often using locally-sourced and/or recycled materials) and minor variations may occur – making each item truly unique!
“AND REMEMBER, NO POSTAGE COSTS WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ORDER – BECAUSE DELIVERY IS FREE.”